After seeing Jesus many times following the Resurrection, the disciples probably had many questions. They were thinking about their next right steps. In the book of Matthew, Jesus told them to go to the mountain and then by His authority directed them to to “go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” and teaching them. Most comforting to them, was probably when He said, “I am with you always, to the end of the age”.
Then, a version of the Ascension found in Acts 1, indicated that as the Disciples were gazing at the heavens, tw0 men in white robes said, …”why are you standing here staring into heaven?” In other words, get going people and go everywhere and tell Jesus’ message to everyone about His teachings and His truths and help change the world. So, what are we waiting for?
Read the story from Mark 16:15-20 and/or from Matthew 28:16-20 from a Bible or a Children’s Bible Storybook and/or watch the youtube video any time that works for you. Tell the story in the car on the way to school and talk later in the day.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Romans 5:8
Cultivate Faith Talk (Preschool-Early Elementary)
- I wonder why Jesus told them to go to the mountain to meet him?
- I wonder, what place in your house makes you think of Jesus? Why?
- Do you get excited when you tell others about church?
- I wonder, what look you would have on your face if you had been there and had seen Jesus go up to heaven?
- I wonder what you don’t want to forget from this story?
Cultivate Faith Talk (Elementary and Older)
- I wonder why Jesus wanted the Disciples to “Go into all the world and preach the Good News”?
- I wonder how the church is following those instructions today?
- I wonder what we could do today at school or while with our sport’s team to follow those instructions?
- What do you feel is most important about this Bible passage? Why is it the most important part to you?
- What does it mean when it said in Mark 16:20, that Jesus “worked through them”? I wonder how Jesus works through us today?
Ideas for Faith-On-The-Go This Week-Let’s Notice and Experience (All Ages):
- When sitting on the couch, take your pillows and create a dominoe effect by standing them up in a row, then giving one a little push. Talk about what happens. Afterwards, talk about how one pillow touches another and something magical can happen when one person’s life touches another life and can make a huge impact.
- If you have dominoes, stack them up also. as in the video at the end of the post and watch the effects.
- Children are taught about cause and effect in their science and social studies classes. Talk about the negative occurances in life that can cause a person’s feelings to be hurt. How can we “preach the Good News and pass it on to others to make a difference?
- When watching TV or a movie together this week, talk about cause and effect in the story line. Talk about what happens when one person does something to help another. Talk about people doing “Pay it Forward” with acts of kindness. What happens?
- When reading a novel/story for bedtime, talk about how one character influences another. I wonder how we can influence our friends to be followers of Jesus?
- If you have a chance, watch the movie Evan Almighty or watch the clip at the end of this post. How do you change the world, by “doing one act of random kindness at a time.” How can we change the world today…”One Act of Random Kindness at a Time”?
- Ask someone in your church who’s been on a Mission Trip, why they decided to go and what they did on their trip? Who asked them to go? What was the effect on the Missionary and the people who were touched by their lives?
The Lord goes before you and is always with you.
Jesus is in your heart through faith…You are being rooted and grounded in love by Him. You are covered in love by us forever.
(Adapted from Ephesians 3:17)
Music-On-The-Go for All Ages:
This is a wonderful good ole camp song that sends the message of our mission to one another in this world.
Clip-How Do we Change the World?
Children’s Video Story